John Bair's Resume
JOHN A. BAIR, NHA
VICE PRESIDENT - REVENUE ENHANCEMENT, THE LANCASTER GROUP, LLC
John is the Vice President - Revenue Enhancement of The Lancaster Group, LLC (12/2004 -
present). Prior to his tenure at The Lancaster Group, LLC, John served as a manager in the
KPMG LLP Senior Living Services Practice located in the Harrisburg office (4/1999 -
His extensive and in-depth knowledge is concentrated in performance improvement, third-
party reimbursement, interim business office assistance, billing, collections, and business
office operational assessment. John has a 19 year career in healthcare reimbursement and
business office operations.
John has extensive experience in the Medicare and various state Medicaid reimbursement
systems (e.g. Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Maryland, Louisiana, Indiana, Ohio and Utah),
including cost reporting and billing.
- Supervision of the preparation and review of Medicare and Medicaid cost reports for
skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation facilities (IRFs), long
term acute care hospitals (LTACHs), hospice, and home health agencies.
- Assisted skilled nursing facilities post closing in all business office areas including; final
billing and collections, accounts payable, final statements, financial statement audits, cost
reports, and cost report audits.
- Assistance in the appeal of Medicaid and Medicare cost report audit adjustments.
- Operational assessments of nursing facility business offices and all related processes,
including, billing, collections, policies, and procedures.
- Conducted training sessions on business office procedures including, billing, collections,
internal control, and monthly financial statement closing.
- Interim Business Office assistance during periods of staff turnover. Identified and trained
new business office staff in the proper business office procedures considering facility
culture and skills sets of staff.
- Served on a Task Force appointed by County Commissioners to determine the future of a
County-owned nursing facility. Spearheaded the financial analysis and formed
conclusions towards the elimination of mounting operating losses at the nursing facility.
- Acquisition due diligence for the purchase of chain skilled nursing providers
- Performance improvement assessments of nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and
Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs).
- Performed Medicare and Medicaid billing compliance for the submission of skilled nursing
- Assisted the State of Utah with the redesign of its Medicaid skilled nursing facility
reimbursement system; including the implementation of a fair rental value system for
Prior to joining The Lancaster Group, LLC, John spent two years as a Medicaid auditor of cost
reports with the Pennsylvania Department of Auditor General, two years as a Medicare auditor
of cost reports with a Fiscal Intermediary, three years as Chief Financial Officer of a 361-bed
nursing facility, two years as a Regional Controller of a nursing home chain, and five years
with KPMG, LLP. His progressive experience fulfills a comprehensive background in third
party reimbursement and business office operations for healthcare providers.
John holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration - Accounting & Finance
from Elizabethtown College and is a member of the Healthcare Financial Management
Association (HFMA). John volunteers for the United Way. John is a licensed nursing home administrator in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Return to previous page